Methodism had its beginning in El Campo in two separate churches. However, in 1936, the Swedish Methodist Episcopal (organized in 1892) and the Methodist Episcopal – South (organized in 1894), merged and became known as the First United Methodist Church of El Campo (organized in 1939). The Swedish Methodist Church property was sold and that congregation joined in worship with the congregation meeting in the church on Hillje Street.
In 1956, the present building was completed and was formally opened by Bishop A. Frank Smith on September 23, 1956. The First United Methodist Church was dedicated in 1966. The Stovall Memorial Chapel, additional church school rooms and office space were all added in 1969.